Monday, June 29, 2009

B&W entry

The sew_loli community I participate in over on Livejournal is having a B&W contest. I decided to enter it, using some B&W fabric I had been planning on using for some time. The dress didn't turn out perfect, but I guess its okay. As you can see, the front isn't great. It needed something to fit the dress better in the back, pulling it closer to my waist. I also needed to make the bodice a little longer.

The back is uneven, but not as bad as the picture makes it seem. It was just at a strange angle. The bow is a little floppy.

Things I learned:
1. Bodices should be cut at least three inches longer than you intend.
2. Bustle Skirts are fun.
3. When you serge the edge of something you're going to gather, it sits fine without folding and sewing the serged hem under. It also looks fine, and in fact, many Lolita brands leave "raw" edges like that.
4. DO NOT fudge gathering.
5. Always always always have some sort of fitting besides shirring.

Overall I'd give this dress a 3/5 for look and a 5/5 for teaching me things. I learned a lot about this kind of OP. I look forward to making more like this, but with longer boddices and using the ruffler foot my mum ordered me from Amazon.

I look forward to making dresses I can sell too.

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Oh no, no pictures!

I haven't been able to find my camera's USB line so I can upload pics! I don't have anything done anyway. After moving to the new house, dealing with flash flooding, spiders, unpacking, spiders, cats fighting, spiders, and the landscapers not coming and doing their job... Oh and did I mention spiders? Yeah I've been too busy to finish anything. But I have two projects near completion, one that's ready for cutting and sewing, and three I have the fabric for. I'm also crocheting one thing and knitting another.

I keep wondering if I should get into making cardigans. Apparently Lolis are into cardigans.

Friday, June 19, 2009

Etsy, Selling, and Cons

Yay! We're moved in (basically, we still have unpacking) and I'm starting my sewing again! I have two dresses, two skirts, and a handful of headdresses I want to have finished by Youmacon, which is approaching fast! My mommy got me a Ruffler foot for my machine too. This means faster sewing and no more hand gathering. I'm also doing a little writing on Gaia. I needed a little practice.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Moving Day!

Joe's going back to school (jobs haven't been working out here. Everything has been temp and the like) so we decided since we know we'll be here a while (he's thinking a 3-4 year program) we're going to get a long term lease on a nicer place. We're renting a brand spankin' new house! Well the foundation isn't new but the rest of the place is. New siding, roofing, decks, GRASS (we have a yard and the landscapers are going to leave us some topsoil so we can make a small garden!), appliances, garage (no more street parking!), drywall, carpet, windows, fixtures... Its all new.

And for a fair price we're splitting with two friends.

So today is moving day and then once we're all moved in I'll be ready and rarin' to go! I have three dresses (one I'll post pics of as soon as the computer is re-hooked to the internet) I'm going to be working on, as well as an outfit for a contest over on my Livejournal on one of my communities. Look forward to project updateds!